Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Keeping a lively science section

Just a quick note:

In a time when most large media companies are cutting science sections, I have to give NPR a hand for its commitment to covering the topic.

I don't know how long it has sported this new format, but I noticed a change today while reading an article.  The science section departmentalized itself into nine expansive subcategories.  One in particular caught my eye because it's pretty rare in mainstream media -- "Animals."

Let's just say my excitement is borderline embarrassing.

If I could choose any area of science to specialize in, this would be it.  And even if you view "Animals" as just a label, I think making these articles easy to find will spur people to enjoy and think more about the world around them -- a science communicator's dream.

I would explore the science sections of other pubs in this post, but the process wouldn't be as organic.  I'll post other things I see from now on...

No comments:

Post a Comment